These past couple weeks I’ve been wanting my husband to do something for me. Surprise me with something I love…anything really… flowers, chocolate, breakfast in bed, or a romantic picnic at the park. Don’t get me wrong, I know my husband loves me. He shows me all the time- His words, hugs, and even doing the dishes {which is one of my love languages!}
But lately, I’ve had such a craving for a special surprise. Our weekends have been packed full of family and friends and week nights we are always out with people or at church, or just needing to rest. Our date nights are pretty non-existent unless you count getting sushi from the local grocery store and eating on the couch together, or drinking hot chocolate and doing our budget.
Anyways you get my point…I need a fun-filled day with just my hubby and I. It’s been a week now since I told my husband, “I would really love a surprise…like flowers or chocolate…anything.” Can you believe I actually hinted that I wanted a surprise? Doesn’t that kind of ruin the whole concept!
But the SURPRISE isn’t that it actually happened, the surprise is…I’ve decided to prepare the surprise! Instead of for me, it’s going to be for him. Not based on what I would love, but on what he would love {and luckily we do enjoy a lot of the same things}.
So this Saturday morning, before he even opens his eyes, there will be a little love note tucked beside his pillow, and on it will read,
“Just because I love you!! This day is full of little surprises just for you. Thank you for loving me, caring for me, and being my best friend.”
Throughout the day I am scattering little surprises… like pancakes in the morning, picnic at the botanical gardens, and a movie in the evening. I’m not going all out, I’m basically using what we have around the house. Homemade pancakes for breakfast and peanut butter and jellies for picnic lunch are simple, cheap, and yummy. Throw in a couple candy bars for the movie and then wrap it all in surprises and you’ve got yourself a romantic, fun, and restful day with hubby.
After a year and a half of marriage, I’m noticing it’s already easy to get in a rut with each other. So take time to spice up your relationship. It doesn’t have to be costly, but it can definitely be creative!
I’m learning that I don’t have to wait or get frustrated because I’m not feeling loved. The best way to feel truly loved is to give it out- in large doses. So don’t wait to wait for hubby to act, don’t even give yourself time to think about being bitter or upset for the lack of romance in your marriage…take action!
Be the first to sprinkle some creativity amongst the two of you- whether you whisper it in his ear, tell him on the phone, or write him a message,
“Surprise…I’ve got a little something prepared for the two of us…”
Take delight in surprising your husband with love!

Such a great reminder! Thank you! Sometimes I am the same way - waiting for my husband to make the surprise move. I'm just as guilty for not making surprises happen - we've been married for 12 years now and you do get in a rut. Sometimes it's work, but well worth it! :)
ReplyDeleteHave a wonderful day tomorrow!
Wow Charissa, thank you. I needed to hear that. What an inspiration you are. And your writing skills have improved SOOOO much since Ive last checked out your blog. Im so proud of you :)
ReplyDeleteKeep up the great posting
I love this!
ReplyDeleteThanks for this reminder! Love this.
ReplyDelete